October is National Community Planning Month — and this year’s theme is Healthy Communities, Healthy People. Check out 10 ways to celebrate National Community Planning Month from APA’s communications team. For more information, visit the National Community Planning Month resource center.
The achievements of planning are celebrated in October with National Community Planning Month. This year’s theme is Healthy Communities, Healthy People.
Highlight the importance of planning and planners this October during National Community Planning Month. This year’s theme is Healthy Communities, Healthy People. The theme underscores the impact that the built environment can have on residents’ health. Call attention to your community’s health this year — plan a hike, a bike ride, or even just a walk through a neighborhood.
Also during October, APA announces the annual designees of its Great Places in America program. Check out this year’s and previous designees.
10 Ways You Can Celebrate National Community Planning Month
Not sure what to do this October to celebrate National Community Planning Month? Check out what other communities have done under the Share Your Activities. And don’t forget to submit your own activities, e-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Proclaim October as National Community Planning Month.
- Honor your Elected and Appointed Officials and Commissioners during a city council meeting.
- Call attention to planning In Your Community by holding a neighborhood tour, creating an exhibit about the community’s planning history or holding a department open house.
- Create a reading list of “must-read” planning books. Organize a book discussion group around a planning book.
- Participate in a career day, and inspire future students to become future planners
- Take planning off campus and organize a box city event for a local youth organization.
- Screen a planning-focused film.
- Get social. Use the #planningmonth hashtag and promote planning through your website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or other social media outlet.
- Sponsor a community photo contest. Ask residents to photograph their favorite places within the community.
- Invite a planning guest speaker to your community, neighborhood association or organization meeting. Find planners through APA’s Ambassador’s Program.
You can help spread the word about the importance of planning. Use the hashtag #planningmonth in your social media posts.
How Do You Love Planning?
Count the ways and share them in October – National Community Planning Month.
Make APA’s “I ♥ PLANNING” logo your profile image and use #planningmonth to show your love on social media. Download your Profile Pic
Public Service Announcements: APA has created recorded and live-read public service announcements (PSAs) to celebrate the importance of planning this October. Listen to PSAs