Join Plan4Health to celebrate Fruits & Veggies—More Matters® Month and promote the benefits of eating plenty of fruits and veggies. Fruits & Veggies — More Matters® Month highlights the importance of healthy eating – a diet rich in a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables.
Adding more fruits and veggies to your diet doesn’t have to be expensive — there are many low-cost (or no cost!) alternatives. Add chopped vegetables to pasta sauce, eat kale – cooked or uncooked, or replace your afternoon snack with a piece of fruit. And simple changes can really pay off — eating healthy can help lower the risk of many chronic diseases — like heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
Fruits and veggies are also delicious! This is a great time to try a new recipe that features produce — or to bring home a fruit or vegetable that your family hasn’t tried before for fun. Remember, good habits start early — especially with kids. Encourage them to eat lots of fruits and veggies to help them develop healthy eating habits that will last a lifetime.
Here are easy ways to add more fruits and veggies to your life:
- Try a new veggie recipe — try the recipe with a new vegetable.
- Keep a bowl of fruit handy where the entire family can see it.
- Cut up fruits and veggies to grab and eat on the go.
- Try pre-cut packages of fruit and veggies for a healthy snack in seconds. Choose packaged fruits that don’t have added sugars.
- Sauté veggies with olive oil and add your favorite spices. Dunk them in your favorite dressing, hummus or low-fat dip.
- Throw baby carrots or grapes into a bag and take them with you for an easy snack on the go. The tiny versions of most vegetables actually tend to be sweeter and have more flavor in each bite.
- Whether it’s strawberry-banana, green tea and blueberry, or a fruit and veggie mix, smoothies are an easy way to drink up your fruit and veggie servings.
Eating more fruits and veggies matters when it comes to maintaining a healthy weight — and it may even reduce your family’s risk of many diseases. Every step towards getting more physical activity also matters in weight management and overall health. You can help your family be at their best by encouraging a balance of diet and exercise.
To get started, check out these activities offered by Produce for Better Health Foundation. Together we can help build a healthy future for our community!
- Take the More Matters Pledge to Fight Obesity
- Follow Fruits & Veggies—More Matters® Month activities on Twitter.
- Check out the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines from the US Departments of Health and Human Services and Agriculture.
For more information, visit the Fruits and Veggies More Matters webpage.